Saturday, March 3, 2012

two Fiats and a Ja at Raupunga


In the late 1950s two Fiat railcars on passenger services 957 and 970 cross at Raupunga on the Napier - Gisborne Line while on another siding Ja 1288 waits for them both to clear before proceeding with its goods train.

This line has the same scenic appeal as the other lines which currently have tourist orientated passenger trains - the obvious thing to do would be to reinstate a daily railcar service between Napier and Gisborne to exploit it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the Station Masters in the early 1950's was a Mr Stanley Louis Kyle. I am his son Rodney Kyle, I remember living in a House at the back of the railway station, going to the school and the General Store. I also remember seeing the film The Wizard of OZ in the hall that was next door to the General Store. I am now 71years of age and have great memories of living in Raupunga and exploring the country with my elder brother Tony.

Unknown said...

Hi Rodney
My Grandfather built the original store in Raupunga and then built the second store when the main road was moved to its existing position. That is until it was burnt down in October this year.
My Grandfather was Arnold Stewart. He also built stores at Tutira and Kotemaori following the progress of the construction of the Napier - Wairoa railway line over the 1920s and 30s. I understand they were in Raupanga at the time of the 31 earthquake which put on hold progress on the Mohaka viaduct for some years.
My Dad, now 92 years old, also attended the Raupunga school from its beginings I understand. We are trying to compile photos and history from that time and would love to share with you if you care to do so.
Ron Stewart

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know maku Mako whaanga she is my grandmother who lived in raupunga.